- Natural Tartaric Acid
- Dextrotartaric Acid
- (+) Tartaric Acid
- L – 2,3 – dihydroxybutanedioic acid
- (2R, 3R) – 2,3 – dihydroxybutane – 1,4 dioic acid
- Butanedioic acid, 2,3 – dihydroxy – , [R – (R*, R*)] –
- d – a, b – dihydroxysuccinic acid
- Characteristics :
Colourless crystals or white crystalline powder
Strong acidic taste
Stable at air and at light
- Crystalline form : monoclinic prisms
- Relative density d 20 4 (Kg/l) : 1,7598
- Melting Point (°C) : 169 – 170
- Hardness (Vickers) : 1029
- Specific rotation (C=20 % H2O) : + (12° – 12,8°)
Product conform to main pharmacopeia (Ph Eur, USP, NF, JP…) food codex (Reg. 2012/231/EC,FCC,JFAS….) and international enological codex.
Forms and presentations
Tartaric acid is commercialized under different granular sizes, granular from 200 to 1000 microns, powder from 50 to 200 microns as well as in liquid form, diluted in between 30 and 50 %.
L(+) Tartaric Acid is particularly used in the food, pharmaceutical and vine industries. There are also numerous applications in other fields.
L(+) Tartaric Acid is used :
- in the acidification of vine musts
- as an acidifier and taste enhancer in sweets, candies, jellies, jams, fruit nectars, ice creams, gelatine and pastes.
- in fruit, vegetable or fish preserves, where it acts as a synergistic anti-oxidant and also stabilises the pH, colour, taste and nutritional value
- in greases and oils as an anti-oxidant
- in the preparation of carbonated beverages
- in the pharmaceutical industry as an excipient or carrier for the active principal helping to correct the basicity
- because of its simplicity of use, stability and high solubility , as an acidification agent used a lot for foaming tablets and powders
- as emulsifier and preservative in the bakery industry
- in the cement industry, and particularly, in plaster and gypsum, where its retardant action facilitates handling of these materials
- in polishing and cleaning of metals
Multiply paper bags lined with polyethylene of 25 Kgs net.
Storage – Stability
Tartaric Acid must be kept in an airtight packing and stocked in a dry place, away from humidity and in normal conditions of temperature. It is a stable compound which does not alter with time if those storage advises are respected.
An use by date is although given according to the regulation, it is one year. That product tends to cake ; a too long storage is not advised, especially for the very fine granular sizes.